Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Boy Scouts board delays voting

Recently, our contemporary society has been leading towards allowing homosexual people and partners throughout society, including entrance into the army among other things. However, a membership ban on gays to join the Boy Scouts has recently brought into question - only to be delayed. The membership board cannot decide if they should allow openly gay people to join their organization.

I find this quite ridiculous, as in today's society, homosexuality is becoming more and more accepted. I believe that postponing such discriminatory criteria is harming the generations behind us and opening them up to discrimination against gays. By doing so, our kids will continue contempt on a group because of some belief in society and yet another generation will pass with society being counter-productive by arguing about meaningless things instead of advancing as a society.

There are over 400 species that accept homosexuality. Only one species accepts homophobia. Why is it that little kids, even elementary school kids, cannot get into Boy Scouts, which has nothing to do with if you are homosexual or not, and have fun and go camping or become a survivor? If you are stranded on an island, is it fair that you didn't get the survival guide you wanted just because you were homosexual? I feel as though the membership committee is simply postponing the inevitable at this point. Some signs did show the law would be lifted, but with the debate being postponed, nobody knows what can happen.

In all things, I believe that homosexuality is something that shouldn't be debated today, it should simply be allowed. However, this is not the case, and with Boy Scouts showing that society still lingers on the subject, one can only guess how much time it will take.

Works Cited
Hennessy-Fiske, Molly. "Boy Scouts Board Delays Vote on Lifting Ban on Gays." Los Angeles Times. Los Angeles Times, 06 Feb. 2013. Web. 27 Feb. 2013. <http://articles.latimes.com/2013/feb/06/nation/la-na-boy-scout-gays-20130207>.
PARNASS, SARAH. "Boy Scouts of America Delays Decision on Membership Policy Banning Gays." ABC News. ABC News Network, 06 Feb. 2013. Web. 27 Feb. 2013. <http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/boy-scouts-america-delays-decision-membership-policy-banning/story?id=18420287>.
Wian, Casey, Casey Wian Reported from Irving, Michael Pearson Wrote, Reported From Atlanta. Holly Yan, Catherine E. Shoichet, and Devon Sayers Also. "Boy Scout Leaders Put off Vote on Gay Membership." CNN. Cable News Network, 06 Feb. 2013. Web. 27 Feb. 2013. <http://www.cnn.com/2013/02/06/us/boy-scouts-policy>. 

2 comments:

  1. I'm not going to say that I hate gays or that I don't like any of them, but I will say that the Boy Scouts are a private organization and therefore, they have the rights to do whatever they see fit with their group. In addition to that, it is not impossible for those who would like a program like the Boy Scouts to create their own, private organizaiton where they could hypothetically bar anyone who isn't gay/lesbian.

    I also wrote an entry on this topic and I found, in my research, that over 70% of the troops are sponsored by a church. Churches that are against gays/lesbians. Because of this, it may not be the leaders of the BSA's fault. If they openly accept gay/lesbian scouts and adults, then they may lose their sponsorship, kicking hundreds of thousands of scouts out of the program.

    Again, I personally have nothing against anyone who is gay or lesbian, but I'm just saying that the arguments are usually one-sided when it comes to this topic, and they portray one side as being completely evil without ever mentioning details for why the regulations might currently be in place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Remember to include some kind of acknowledgment or concession - it can be as simple as saying, as Andy pointed out, that the Boy Scouts are a private organization and, as such, have the right to make their own rules. Then you would follow that up with a refutation of why their rules are unacceptable. Also, edit for second person (no "you"!) as well as wordiness.

    ReplyDelete